My Simply Complicated Life

Welcome to the blog of an ordinary mother who sometimes just might have something extraordinary to say















Sunday, March 17, 2013

Three's Company

It has been 156 weeks, 1096 days, 26,304 hours and 1,578,240 minutes (or in simpler terms, three years) since Hurricane P blew into our lives. Looking at those numbers, it seems like such a long time but like a tropical storm, it has been a whirlwind. Where have those weeks, days, hours and minutes gone? They’ve slipped through my fingers…my tight grip isn’t quite tight enough to hold on to those precious moments.
As the day draws to a close, I find myself reminiscing on the last three years. As recounting with my friends earlier, I remember holding my little butterball (she was 2.5 lbs. bigger than her sister) in the operating room. An hour or so later, in the recovery room, my dark haired little eskimo baby latched on like a pro…fast forward three years and she still is enamored with the milk makers. Since the beginning, she has been a ball of fire. Trying to get a few hours of sleep in the hospital, I sent Little P to the nursery (gasp, I know, I sent her away…it’s much easier to do with second children, trust me). Within minutes, the nurses called me requesting her to be picked up as she was keeping all of the other babies awake with her wails. To this day, she commands attention and makes her wishes known loudly and proudly.
In so many ways, she is still mommy’s baby – whether carrying around her beloved Goo Goo, clutching onto my chest, or snuggling against me to fall asleep. Then on the other hand, she is such a big girl. She poses thoughtful questions, sings (quite well) along to new hits (Maroon 5’s “One More Night” or Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble) and oldie but goodies (B52’s “Love Shack” or Spice Girls “Wannabe”),says beautiful prayers to Jehovah, and enjoys salad, soup and spicy food. Oh and in true spitfire fashion, her favorite color is red.
Before she came along, I was wrapped up in so much love for her sister that I was afraid to bring another child into the world. Afraid I could never love another like I did my first. Magically, my heart expanded and made room (and then some) for my sweet pea. She has stolen the hearts of everyone – her sister is enamored by her, her grandparents beam with pride, and our friends have deep affections for (some are ready to sign the adoption papers).
After three years, I have learned so much about her and from her. She teaches me patience (mostly because she tests it so much), she shows me bravery (showing no fear with much at all), and she imparts sheer delight (with each flash of her signature “crazy eyes”). As desperate as I am to freeze time, I am curious and anxious to see what is in store for my spunky, passionate, witty, beautiful daughter. She is a girl, who like her mother, is stubborn but considerate, affable but cautious, smart but silly, and babyish yet blossoming.
Thank you my darling P for showing mommy that her heart is big enough for a personality as big as yours. Mommy loves you (and your sister) under the sea (my little mermaid) and over the moon (my little star).
 

1 comment: